Wednesday 5 March 2014

Using Symbolism

Symbolism is the practice or art of using an object or a word to represent an abstract idea. An action, person, place, word, or object can all have a symbolic meaning.


I plan to use a lot of symbolism in my film, as I mentioned before Maya Deren used a lot of this in her experimental work and I would love to take inspiration from her work. Now that I have the concept and the reasoning behind the protagonists psychological dislocation I can begin building the plot up with the  use of symbols, sounds and visuals. The cause for the mothers dislocation - 'disturbance from a proper, original, or usual place or state' is the death of her son. The most common symbol for this, as Maya Deren also used is the Grim Reaper.


I could incorporate this into one or two of my visuals. A broken mirror can represent loss and seperation. An empty field, an animals body, items left in a public place for example, a coat, a book and a used candle, these are just a few symbols which can portray loss.





I will deffinately be incorporating various of these symbols into my film. I find it a very interesting way to give meaning behind a film with little or no dialogue and I am looking forward to producing this film.




No comments:

Post a Comment