Wednesday 5 March 2014

Looking for the right words. . .

I am certain that I will be producing a poetic themed film which explores a characters state of mind. I intend to do this in a non-linear narrative. I feel this will add to the them of dislocation if the pieces and structure of the narrative are dislocated, similar to the protagonists mind.

I began thinking of meaningful poems which explore the idea of being trapped in your own mind almost drowning in negative thoughts and not being able to escape. A very well known and popular poem came to mind. 'Not waving but drowning' (1957)  By Stevie Smith. This poem explores the unseen psychological problems that people face. The poem describes the 'dead man' not waving but drowning. The poem explores being misunderstood and shows miscommunication between the speaker and society, almost being dislocated. I intend to use words over the visuals and I plan to do more research but this is the type of tone I am aiming towards.


Nobody heard him, the dead man,   
But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought   
And not waving but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking
And now he’s dead
It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,   
They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always   
(Still the dead one lay moaning)   
I was much too far out all my life   
And not waving but drowning.

No comments:

Post a Comment